Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thank You!

Gratitude is one of those words that you hear a lot of these days. Even though it is a word that that most of us use one a daily basis, it can often be difficult for us to focus on feeling grateful for the "seemingly" negative experiences that we have been through....

I have been reminded recently of how gratitude for our experiences and the blessings that we are given (whether or not they appear to be blessings at the time) impact our future development and growth. Out of the blue I recently received an email from a former employee who I truly considered (and still consider) a dear friend. Unfortunately, when she left my company and moved on....it wasn't on the most positive of notes. I battled for months about the terms of the ending of our relationship, I think mostly because we had become friends over the years, I sincerely cared about her well being, and the ending of this agreement seemed as though our relationship was pretty much over. When I read her email, a wave of emotion came over me, because she had moved on and was able to step back from our situation a bit (which I had done, as well, and had made peace with it). Her gratitude was deeply expressed in this letter and it reminded me of the reasons that I am so grateful to have her in my life. The best part about the whole thing is that she is truly flourishing and has grown tremendously since she has moved on. Seeing through the fog, I am sure we have both realized that we needed to move on in order to move forward.

I am truly grateful to her and what she has taught me about myself. My relationship with her has helped me become a better employer and friend. I miss her daily belly laughs and find comfort in knowing she will remain in my life...even if from afar. Today, I am grateful for you!

(I am also truly grateful that my new furniture is here!)

No comments: